Los Gemelos, SANTA CRUZ ISLAND
Los Gemelos, Spanish for The Twins, are two volcanic depressions on the highest part of Santa Cruz. The larger of the two volcanic pits is featured here. In contrast to the dry coastal lowlands, the highlands are covered by mist in the garua (foggy) season and receive thus much more moisture and support a more luxuriant vegetation...
- Highlights: Luxuriant vegetation
- Animals: Vermillion flycatchers, woodpecker finches, short eared owls Twin Craters
- Activities: Hike (0.9 mi / 1 ½ km)
- Difficulty: Easy / moderate
- Type of Landing: Dry landing
- Highlights & Animals: Pit craters, Scalesia Forest, giant cactus, lava lizards, giant tortoises, land birds: finches, warblers, flycatchers.